Alderwood Street Names
Like many areas in Etobicoke, Alderwood has been required to change many of its original street names. Most of these changes were made to eliminate duplicate street names created by the formation of Metropolitan Toronto in 1953.
Cottrelle Gate is a very short street that runs north off Rathburn Road, between The East Mall and Martin Grove Road. With only three houses on it, it is literally a gateway into the West Deane Park subdivision.
East-West Main Roads
Ever wonder about the name origins of Etobicoke’s major East/West roads? This story shares the major routes and their origins!
Edgehill Road & James Gardens
This couple is responsible for Etobicoke’s beautiful James Gardens, which cover 21 acres of hills, valley and forest beside the Humber River, south of Edenbridge Drive.
One might be tempted to think that, like many streets in our cities, Eva was the relative of a local developer, or perhaps a local politician or historic figure, but that is not the case.
One former business that holds a lot of memories for people who grew up in the Richview area of Etobicoke is Bert’s Turkey Palace - who's owner gives his name to this street,
John Garland Boulevard
This street was named after John Garland who was a popular Liberal MP from Nipissing, first elected in 1949. Among other things, he was responsible for housing, including low income housing.
Matthew Court is a street name that goes a long way towards filling a hole that was created in 1947 when Canning Avenue was renamed Cordova Avenue.
For a short period of time from about 1939 to 1952, the portion of today’s Martin Grove Road south of Rathburn Road to Bloor Street West was named McGee Road.
North-South Main Roads
Ever wonder about the name origins of Etobicoke’s major North/South roads? This story shares the major routes and their origins!
Rex Wesley Heslop, has been called “The Father of Rexdale” and “Etobicoke’s Horatio Alger”. We have him to thank for the Etobicoke street names Rexdale Blvd., Rex Gate, Delma Dr. and Heslop Dr.
Streets of "Long Branch"
In 1935, the Village of Long Branch’s council voted to change the names of 35 of their streets - resulting in a series of numbered streets, among others.
Streets of "The Kingsway"
The street names in Etobicoke's Kingsway area have a wide-range of origins - from famous politicians to family-named landmarks no longer in existence.
Sunnylea Avenue East and West and the Etobicoke neighbourhood of Sunnylea were both named after a school built in that area in 1908.
This street was named to remember a grand estate called “The Elms” that stood off Scarlett Road from about 1850 to 1967.
Woodbine Race Track
Woodbine Racetrack opened in 1956 and 12 new streets north of the racetrack were created dedicated to the world of horse racing.