Book - Etobicoke Remembered
Etobicoke Remembered tells the story of how Etobicoke became, successively, a home for aboriginal peoples, a major trading route, an active mill centre, and a suburb that provided homes and jobs for a growing post-World War II population.
This meticulously researched and detailed history gives careful attention to 22 Etobicoke neighbourhoods, telling each one’s history through the years. Founding families, community leaders, and institutions are all explored. Robert A. Given’s deft touch and over 100 old photographs, drawings and maps will make you feel that you have gone back in time to touch the past. Given thanks his wife of over sixty years, Joyce, who typed the manuscript, and fellow-Etobian Molly Sutherland, who edited the book.
Exploring Etobicoke’s history has been an all-consuming hobby for author Robert (Bob) A. Given for over 70 years.
In 1950, Bob wrote The Story of Etobicoke for the Township of Etobicoke to commemorate their Centennial. His column, “Etobicoke in Pictures”, appeared in the local Etobicoke Press from 1955 to 1960. In 1958, he was a founding member of the Etobicoke Historical Society. Bob was named to the Etobicoke Hall of Fame in 1974 and was the recipient of the Etobicoke Historical Society’s Jean Hibbert Memorial Award in 1983 and again in 2008. Researching and writing Etobicoke Remembered, has been a labour of love that has spanned 15 years. Bob has lived in Etobicoke since 1931 and, with his wife Joyce, has made the Sunnylea area home since 1949.
Township of Etobicoke Municipal Chambers in 1927, on the north side of Dundas Street in the village of Islington. The building was erected in 1843 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel with a roughcast stucco exterior. When the church moved to a new building in 1887, the chapel was sold to the Township for $700 and they had the exterior covered with brick. In 1957, the building became the District Police Headquarters. Since 2000, it has been a Fox & Fiddle Restaurant at 4946 Dundas Street West. (Photo courtesy of Montgomery’s Inn).